Thursday, July 8, 2010

Blackberry Bush

Hello Housemates and anyone who randomly finds this blog.

Ok, so we need to start making some decisions about this blackberry bush. Rebecca, I know that you have some sort of rough plan for this thing so I'm really looking towards you for advice. So far this summer the whole thing fell down because of the weight of the thing (wow blackberry bushes grow fast!) so I constructed a bamboo frame thingy to hold it up. It now looks like this..

As I ended up with scratches head to toe I need to take a second to show off my construction.

So, some what surprisingly my make shift 3 post cross shape frame actually makes it really quite sturdy...but that's not the best bit....

As you can, hopefully, make out the back yard man became integrated into the design and now is called the blackberry man...FUCK YA!!!!

Ok, back to the problem at hand....the blackberry bush is growing....fast. I personally think this is fantastic but I know that you might not want this. I'm not 100% sure what your long term plan was....so I made up my own.

What I think would be fantastic is if we let it GROW!! The #1 reason for this is that nothing useful grows in that corner of the garden. I think that we should cut back the other stuff and let it take over this area..



Basically I think that it should stretch from the bamboo plant along the fence until the shed where it'll then cover the whole side of the shed. This would mean that when you look at the shed all you'll see is a blackberry bush with a hole in it where the door is. I think this would look beautiful!! (a little imagination required)


This would mean that new shoots like this one would need to be let grow in order to fully fill in everything except for the door.

The only potential problem with my plan is that this is the corner where we might end up putting chickens (if we ever get onto that). Which means it's time for some forward policy planning!!

If I create a cube shaped thingy out of bamboo and some plywood I can keep the blackberry bush from growing around the window.


This would mean that if we ever put in a chicken coop on the grass we could tunnel it through the blackberry bush, through the window and into the shed where they could lay. I think this would be so insanely amazing that it got me so excited I created an effin' blog!!!! Mainly because we would
  • be able to use a part of the garden that has USELESS soil to grow yummy fruit
  • be able to walk through a blackberry bush when entering the shed...I mean seriously!!
  • own a chicken coop that tunnels into the shed through a blackberry bush and window
So that's my plan. Let me know what you think, and as a prize for reading to the end here is some other pics of the back yard....



2 comments:

  1. Wow.
    You should pull a garlic and see how they're doing... looks like it's coming along.
    More soon.
    Tired now.

    All my love and more,
    Becks

    ReplyDelete
  2. give me a cherry!!!!!! love you guys... wish i was there to watch it all grow!
    S.

    ReplyDelete